Monday, June 8, 2015

Response: The Painted Porch Episode 8

I've recently subscribed to the "Good Fortune" podcast by Matt Van Natta and the "Painted Porch" podcast. I've started working my way backwards through the episodes of both. It didn't take me long to finish "Good Fortune," but "The Painted Porch" episodes are significantly longer at an hour each.

I'm 3/4 of the way through episode 8, in which the hosts are discussing what sort of theology, if any, is required to "be a Stoic." Apparently there is a lot of in-fighting in the Stoic online community on this subject. All 3 hosts are admittedly atheists, but they go out of their way to not throw any jabs at the deists.

I'm just not sure why this is a divisive issue. Stoicism doesn't belong to any one particular group. Isn't it incredibly un-Stoic to attack a group that doesn't believe as you do?

It seems to me that we should be more focused on the actions of the philosopher. 

Also, aren't we all turning to Stoicism for the same reasons? It provides us with a framework upon which to pursue virtue, almost all of which we universally agree on. Perhaps some atheists are seeking out a universal moral truth, because they have turned away from the traditional sources, but I think more people are trying to practice Stoicism because it simply works.

Within my faith, Jesus Christ even taught against getting hung up in the nitty gritty theological details. 

We need Stoics of action.

Let's see the forest for the trees. Let's not cut off our nose despite our face. Let's stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. Let's stop discussing what good Stoics should be and just be them. (cliches off)